Monday 19 October 2009

Postal Strike

Headlines in the news this week covered the story of an up and coming postal strike. So I decided to produce a political cartoon on the basis of this topic.

The post box that I have cut out from a newspaper formed my idea of using a closed post box in some way in my cartoon.


I chose to create a cartoon strip to vary the style of my work. This is a preliminary sketch of my how I would like my cartoon strip to look.

I created a post box giving it human characteristics; eyes, a mouth, arms and also gave it facial expression and body language. The body language shows an "I dont care attitude". the kind of attitude that will be shown by the striking postal workers. Using a post box is an obvious identification of what the character is representing.



I chose to use an elderly lady being ignored by the post box as the elderly are very dependent on the postal service and if a strike were to happen, they would be incapable of getting insurence, doctors or any other form of letter.



I created my own backgrounds to use keeping to the very bold cartoon technique.
My cartoon fits well into this article about the postal strike. It includes peoples opinions on the problems with a strike, including the opinion of a retired pensioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment